Friday, September 02, 2011

More than words

People say I write well. I find that ironic, and at times confusing.

You see, I actually find it very, very difficult to write anything meaningful or deep. It's not for lack of ideas, but like good ol' Snoopy who can't seem to get past the lines "It was a dark and stormy night...", I struggle to transfer my ideas to paper (or e-paper if you will) after the first couple of sentences.

I'm good at writing frivolous, comical, conversational style sentences, but every time I try my hand at something deeper and more philosophical, the ideas seem to stop flowing down to my fingers. My brain, having already revisited each sentence half a dozen times for clarity, style and grammar corrections, simply looses focus and the original thought is soon replaced by a distant shadow of an idea that once was. For example, this paragraph alone has taken me 15 minutes to write and I have re-written the last two sentences three times, and I'm still not sure if I'm getting my point across.

And therein lies my problem. Somehow, my neural network seems to spend far too much time trying to write well when in fact it should be simply... writing!

Having said that, I have now spent a good 20 minutes writing, erasing and re-writing this very paragraph. I don't even remember anymore the point I was going to make next except that it was more utter rubbish and me waffling on about something or the other.

See what I mean?

Let's see... what point am I trying to make? Ah yes. The point I'm trying to make is that it appears that - yes, writing is as much as about writing from the heart as it is about the mind. But I'll be damned if I can figure out how I can get the two going at the same time.

So, gentle readers (yes, all two of you), please bear with me if I don't write anything that is insightful or thought provoking on my blog. Because, it turns out, that's not my style. Not my cuppa tea. No siree! I'll just leave that to people like Arundhati Roy, who seem to have institutionalised the process. Thank you very much.


In fact, I think I'll stop now.

No, actually I'm quite sure.

Yes, really. 

Good. Finally, something that both my heart and mind agree on.

And a moment not too soon, one suspects... bleh.












1 comment:

Poornima Seetharaman said...

Me likey! Seems like S.Korea is triggering the writer in you :-P